A notification of Revised Teacher Education Roadmap 2023 has been issued by Higher Education Commission 2023.The letter was issued by the Office of the Deputy Director (Curriculum).According to the new roadmap, MA Education, M.Ed, and BS Education degrees are now awarded the equivalent status of B.Ed 4 years, B.Ed Hons, B.Ed 2.5 years after 14 years of education, and B.Ed 1.5 years after 16 years of education. Further detail in same is as under;
Revised Teacher Education Roadmap 2023 HEC
Development and review of academic standards at undergraduate and graduate level is one of the major functions of Higher Education Commission (HEC). In line with recommendations of National Curriculum Review Committee in the discipline of ‘Education’, the Teacher Education Roadmap has been revised and forwarded for implementation please.
In line with the recommendations of the National Curriculum Review Committee in the discipline of Education, HEC has revised Teacher Education Roadmap. As per the revised roadmap:
- Candidates with Associate Degree in Education (ADE) will be allowed to enroll in the 5th semester or third year of a four-year B.Ed. programme.
- Candidates with an Associate Degree in disciplines other than Education or two-year erstwhile BA/BSc degrees (now defunct) shall be admitted in the 5th semester or third year of a four-year B.Ed. programme through a bridging semester after completing the deficiency courses (15-18 credit hours) as determined by the admitting university on case-to-case basis.
- MA Education, M.Ed. and BS Education shall be considered equivalent to B.Ed. 4 years/B.Ed. (Hons), B.Ed. 2.5 after 14 years qualification and B.Ed. 1.5 after 16 years qualification.
- Graduates having 16 years or equivalent qualification in disciplines other than Education and desirous to acquire B.Ed. degree will be allowed enrolment in B.Ed. 1.5 comprising of 45-54 credit hours course work.
- Graduates having 16 years non-relevant qualification desirous to acquire admission in MS/MPhil Education, shall be required to complete deficiency courses of minimum 18 credit hours as part of the said degree programme as determined by the admitting university on case-to-case basis.
- The nomenclature for Teacher Education Degrees shall only be “Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)” from Fall 2023 onwards.
- The strands, such as Early Childhood Education, Elementary and Secondary Education etc. and specializations like Curriculum, Assessment, Academic planning, Leadership, Guidance & Counselling, etc. shall only be reflected on transcripts and not on degrees.
The same has been conveyed to the heads of all public and private sectors universities as well as degree awarding institutes through an official letter.